jaytea commented on a Page, Auto Translator  -  Feb 14, 2012

yes, but i didn't say "in a malicious way" but rather "in the same malicious way as $decode()"

while i don't fully agree with the initial decision to include it in the lock settings, i understand why it was added and why it would be difficult to remove it at this point.

see, the reason why $decode() was first locked was due to its popularity in spreading IRC worms. while mIRC code can be obfuscated in many different ways, $decode() became the de facto method for doing so, and IRC worms involving $decode() probably still exist on various shady sites and possibly a few infected machines in the IRC universe. therefore, there is a case to be made for it still being in the lock settings and still enabled by default.

$utfdecode() is relatively new and more difficult to figure out how to abuse. it doesn't share any of the above facts with $decode() and its addition to the lock settings was nothing more than a preemptive measure against potential abuse. the mere fact that it was added will have tipped off a few would-be skiddies who, if this setting were ever reversed, may use the opportunity to develop worms involving $utfdecode. but this is all unlikely. anyway, this was a deliberate change that we have to learn to live with, no matter ill-founded or inadvisable it may have been!

i'll show you an example on IRC :P

Respond  
Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.